Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, January 24, 2003

    I've had a breakthrough. There I was sitting in front my DAW (Digital Audio Workstation, for those who don't know which is another way of saying "a PC with a cool sound card") working on a song. It was not going anywhere. All I had after three hours was just a piano part with no melody. I've been playing this piano part over and over again in a loop.

    I get a call. I answer the phone. It's Sue. I proceed to the couch to take the call. The piano part is still in repeat in the background. Talk on the phone for about 15 minutes. Hang up. I fall asleep on the couch. Piano loop still in the background. I am asleep...probably in a REM state. My subconcious has taken over the concious state. I start to notice little perfomance imperfections in the piano part. I am still asleep but fully aware of the piano part. Suddenly the song starts to write itself. Over and over again.

    I wake up from what appears to be a 45 minute nap. I go to my DAW and fix the problems I heard in the performance. However, all that technical fixing makes me lose the melody. I will be taking another nap for recall soon.

    The point of the story here is that we all should take more naps.

    No comments: