Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, January 18, 2003

    There is one positive thing from all this sap I am going through.

    I've been writing a lot of sad slow songs. Which is a good thing since my publisher tells me that's the sort of thing the Chinese markets go for. In fact, most of my songs which have been recorded are the slower ones. So, there's that silver lining.

    I finally got a pre-release copy of Ferhad's new album. It is a great Malay-language album. And I am not saying this because I am one of the producers and songwriters for the album. It truly is a great album. So great in fact, I do not think the people here will get it. It's too clever. Even the cover has a certain style to it which I think might scare off the common folk who buys Malay albums. This one is more for the urban Malays and Chinese.

    But what excites me is that, when I listened to the final CD and read the liner notes, I got the same sensation and excitement when I first listened to Sheila Majid and Zainal Abidin back in the late 80s and early 90s. It has been awhile since we had a Malay album with class. This is one album I would be proud to be associated with. I am usually quite self-depreciating when it comes to my own work. It's not false modesty. I am just my own worst critic. However, I am very proud of this Ferhad album.

    I had Zainal Abidin in one of the songs I produced. You should have seen me at the recording session. I was a total geek fan when Zainal was in the room. I was suddenly reduced to an 16-year old with a goofy grin waiting for an autograph. And I was supposed to produce him and tell him how to sing! Thankfully, he is one of those singers that you don't have to say much to because they already have their own style.

    The album comes out on 21 January. Please get a copy at a store near you. It's Ferhad. "Katakan Saja" on Positive Tone/EMI.

    No comments: