Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, March 13, 2003

    You may have noticed the note tag from Woof: “...This is what I got from looking up "CEBAI" from Google!”

    I just had to check it out to see if that were true. Well, yank the monkey out of my ass and call me Betty...there it was! Enter the word “Cebai” in Google and try keeping a straight face and constantly look to make sure no one is over your shoulder, and this blog is number 8 on the list! Why is that so wrong???

    When I enter “Bolumn”, my site does not show up but the link to fellow-bat’s blog shows up: batbabe.blogspot.com.

    Anyway, I hope that you found what you were looking for, Woof.

    By the way, “cebai” means “pretty face” in Kadunstan, a local dialect used by the aborigines in East Malaysia and Borneo. “Cebai” which derives from the Latin word Smelluss Cebaius dates as far back as 1335 and were first used by royal immigrants from the Java Islands as well as the Philippines who settled in East Malaysia and later became royalty.

    Many of these immigrants took on local women as their wives and as a result of the ethnic mix, their off-springs had distinct features which are uncommon Asian features. Hence, these children of mixed parentage were adored by society and were referred to as “cebai”.

    Today, when one sees a pretty face on the streets of Malaysia (both east and west) as well as neighbouring Singapore, it is not uncommon to hear someone say “There’s that cebai face!” or if you prefer, try a local phrase: “Muka cebai.”

    No comments: