Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, December 28, 2003

    I watched "The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King" again. I really like this movie although I can't help but wonder if they could have made just one movie instead of three. You see, it's long.

    Each movie is long. And to be honest, I fell asleep at each movie but each movie has its moments. And that's when I wake up. Here's a bit of trivia: Peter Jackson, the director, originally pitched one LOTR movie to Miramax. And it was Miramax who suggested three movies.

    I also watched "The Sound Of Music" for the first time on TV today. How our values have changed. It's amazing to me how they managed to get away with musicals back then. I still can't get over bursting out in song in the middle of a conversation. Wait a sec...don't they still have Bollywood movies like that? And gosh, could Julie Andrews be possibly more virginal?
    Last night I had a post-Christmas dinner at Wendy's. She prepared this super meal with lots of food which I won't make myself because it requires more than five steps of food preparation. So we had this "Secret Santa" thing going. I am supposed to write about it since I'm expected to but I won't.

    Christmas day and Christmas eve was quiet for me. I was home watching TV and working. So much fun I had to contain myself. Again, I am amused how many Christmas greetings I received on Dec 25. Perhaps many don't know but I am not a Christian. Sure, I call out to Jesus sometimes but it's not in praise.

    Don't people realise that Christmas is a religious holiday? It's not like National Day or Labour Day. It wouldn't make sense for me to randomly greet people with "Happy Hannukah" or "Happy Kwanza" just because it falls on Dec 25, would it?

    I can only reason that we, as in society at large, are just hung up on the commercial values of Christmas more than anything else. And we get suckered into it as well. Just look at Bangsar on the eve of any holiday; religious or otherwise. Just to satisfy the Malaysian fetish of counting down at midnight, we are willing to pay 20 bucks for Coke and shorten our lifes while increasing the risk of cancer by being sandwiched in a smoky bar. Hey, whatever makes you happy.

    No comments: