Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, April 09, 2004

    Why I Love Malaysia (Part 1)

    I saw on the news today that the authorities have started the Ops Tulen anti-piracy drive again. It's that time of the year where they confiscate pirated software and then quote the total value of the confiscated software based on the manufacturer's suggested retail price of the original software multiplied that by 3.8 to a bunch of foreign reporters. As if Malaysians would have otherwise spent that money on original software in the first place.

    Of course, the defining moment is when the steamroller gets into the picture. They should use the steamroller as the icon in the anti-piracy campaign. That’ll scare them bastards. And wouldn’t you love to be at the meeting when they decided on who gets to drive the steamroller? (“No, it's my turn. You got to drive it the last time!" ...but in Malay.)

    The real kicker was this:

    “The enforcement officers raided two shopping malls in the city known for pirated software: Amcorp Mall and The Summit Subang Jaya.”

    Sonofabitch. I’ve been doing it all wrong. All this while I was getting my software from Low Yat and Imbi Plaza. Why didn’t anyone tell me about Amcorp Mall?

    It is so reassuring to see the street intelligence of Malaysian authorities.

    By the way, they sell nothing but cakes and wallpaper at Low Yat and Imbi. There’s nothing to see. All the action is at Amcorp and Sungai Buloh Parade.

    No comments: