Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, September 14, 2004

    It makes me wonder why the editor, director, or even the producers of Puteri Gunung Ledang, at some point, did not wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night and say, "Damn. I think the movie is too long!"

    It's a situation where the director has probably fallen in love with his own shots and can't bring it together to cut it out. It's all those long pans of horizons and close-ups of a flower in the rain. You know, the sort of thing you'd see in a YTL Lake Edge Puchong or Sentul West commercial, or "Dances With Wolves". Dude, two words for you: Director's Cut.


    It takes a lot for me to get so restless and want to walk out on a movie. But this one did it for me.

    Whatever the story that needed to be told, could have been done in one hour or 90 minutes tops. But they wanted to go for that epic status and dragged the thing for over two hours.

    I need to get this off my chest in case I die tomorrow.

    The first thing I noticed was that for a new film, it looked like it needed restoration. And secondly, the director's style clearly shows that he brought too much from his TV commercial days to the movie. It was either too fast like a music video or too slow. For instance, the fight scenes. I couldn't get a sense of space and where the characters were. I see them doing things but it has no perspective or depth. Too bad.

    And then all the actors looked too "clean". George Lucas had it right when he dirtied the set of Star Wars to make it look aged and used. This movie desperately needed that treatment.

    Then there's that make up. Was there an oversupply of make up foundation on the set and they had a quota to fulfill?

    It was a good effort. But not good enough. And I hate the fact that I had to pay RM10 and wasted an hour of my life that I will never get back!

    No comments: