Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, December 21, 2004

    We Malaysians are a strange lot. About seven percent of the Malaysian population are Christians. Yet we embrace and talk about Christmas as if Mary gave birth to Jesus in Pahang and Santa Claus set up a distribution hub next to KLIA.

    Once again, I attribute this phenomenon to this inferiority complex that we Asians have to want to embrace and assimilate cultures that are irrelevant to us because it's the white thing to do. Christmas is a big thing on TV. I wanna be part of it too because Deepavali or Hari Raya ain't too cool. Besides, I can't really sing along to the songs.

    In other words, we are suckers. I am pretty sure that there is some American tourist in Malaysia wondering why there are a bunch of non-Christian's celebrating the birth of Christ.

    And you know we want to make it a big deal about Christmas because we go around asking people what their Christmas plans are. As if we expect the other person to say "Oh, I'm going skiing up in the mountains."

    December 25 is a Saturday. It's already a holiday for most of us. We go back to work on Monday.

    Sure, we all say it's all too commercial but yet we fall for it and go around wishing “Merry Christmas”.

    Guy: Merry Christmas.
    Me: I'm not Christian.
    Guy: You know...it's sad. What happened to the spirit of Christmas? Christmas has become so commercial.
    Me: I don't know. I'm not Christian.

    Having said what I said, I'll admit that I do love the presents I'm getting from those who feel the need to buy gifts just so they can say, "I have to do some Christmas shopping." To which I say,...why only at Christmas? Make it a weekly event.

    Guy: Merry Christmas.
    Me: I'm not Christian.
    Guy: I have a present for you.
    Me: Thanks. It's also Hanukkah. I'm not Jewish but do I get a present for Hanukkah too?
    Guy: Err...OK. Here's your present. Happy Hanukkah.
    Me: Thanks. It's also Kwanza. Do I get a present for Kwanza?
    Guy: Err...I think you are missing the point here. You not getting the spirit of Christmas.
    Me: Maybe because I am not Christian.
    Guy: Then I want my presents back.
    Me: Go away.

    And I get the biggest kick from the snow thing. We are so hard up for that white Christmas that we are willing to fake it. I was at One Utama last weekend and they made fake snow from soap suds. Well, paint my nose red and call me Rudolph! First of all, soap suds? Secondly…soap suds?

    If we go on like this, I am afraid things will get worse and we become more pretentious. We will become like…..gasp….Singaporeans. More fake snow.

    By the way, I want to wish you a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanza, and Happy Las Posadas.

    No comments: