Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, February 14, 2005

    I am so stirred by what I just saw on channel 36 on Astro that I must blog about it at 6:04 am. It’s the CCTV English Speaking Competition. Yes, it’s a show promoting the use of the English language in China. Unfortunately, the organisers must have neglected on defining which accent the contestants should use. At my last count, there were at least three accents: Kinda-British, Kinda-American, and Kinda-Weird.

    Then, there’s the impressive yet unsettling sight of a seeing the Caucasian host speak flawless Mandarin.

    This English-language Mardi Gras has debate, language translation, guess-the-quote, propose-your-documentary, and oh yes, contestants get to play Taboo with the hosts. My favourite moment was the tie-breaker. After the two contestants made their rebuttals in the debate, the host asks the male contestant for some comments.

    Host: May we have some comments before we announce the winner of the tie-breaker?
    Guy: I think the winner should be her. She should win.
    Host: (Surprised!) Why?
    Guy: Because she is so beautiful.

    (Note: Apply your own accent for impact.)

    After these two hours, edited from what appears to be some kind of marathon language orgy panning days, they announce the winners.

    But the one that takes the cake is the winner of “The Audience’s Choice” award.

    Host: Congratulations! Please say a few words.
    Winner: Thank you. I did not expect to win because I am a girl. The boys were more entertaining. I did not entertain as I was just doing my job. Also, I am not feeling too well because of my upset stomach due to not eating rice which I should have during lunch just now. Thank you very much.

    I am not making this up. I am no where this creative to come up with stuff like this.

    No comments: