Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, April 14, 2005

    If you are only allowed one movie this year, watch “Star Wars Episode III.” If you are in the market for two movies, then watch “Sepet.”

    It’s a great movie. Period. (As opposed to, “It’s a great movie, by Malaysian standards.”)

    “Sepet”, not be confused with the popular French movie about a man and his hamster, “Le Pet”, is a local movie directed and written by Yasmin Ahmad. You might already know her work if you have seen those Petronas ads during Hari Raya or Chinese New Year. And this plays like a 80-minute Petronas ad. And that’s a good thing.

    There are so many things to love about this movie. Ng Choo Seong was good. Sharifah Amani was great. I laughed. I could feel the pain. Made me wish we had more liberal laws for inter-racial marriages. Reminded me of my love for pork products. Also highlighted why some directors should retire. (Especially if the director's initials are YH.)

    The colour looks a little washed out on the VCD. I didn’t catch it at the cinema as a reference. It might be intentional.

    Also, I wish the director used more original music. Maybe it was a budget thing. But I thought it would have been great if it had songs to help reinforce the story. If Yasmin asked, I would have done it for free*. And the movie does not cut smoothly from the first VCD to the second VCD. (That’s why the aliens gave us DVD.)

    So many things could have gone wrong *cough*Sembilu 2005*cough* with “Sepet” given the fact that it *cough*Sembilu 2005*cough* deals with race *cough*Sembilu 2005*cough* relations. But “Sepet” works. The story unfolds and develops well that you forget about the Malay/Chinese issue and the love story carries the movie forward.

    I am glad “Sepet” was made.

    They are handing out “Sepet” on VCD in exchange for RM19.90.

    Please watch it and then explain the ending to me. I don’t get it.

    * Conditions apply.

    No comments: