Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, April 20, 2006

    I bought flowers the other day. It’s always a test of my communication skills whenever I buy flowers in Malaysia.

    Me:
    I want a hand bouquet of flowers but….


    Florist Aunty:

    Can.


    Me:
    …I want it simple.


    Florist Aunty:
    Oh….you don’t want the colour paper and plastic wrap ah? Very nice one. Makes the flower look bigger.

    Me:
    I dowan. The only thing I want looking bigger is my.... Oh ne-mind. I just want the flowers in a simple hand bouquet.

    Florist Aunty:

    Aiyah. OK. You want the gweilo style.


    So now I know. In future, I will just tell the florist that I want the “gweilo style.”

    Which brings me to my next question. What is it with our concept of bouquet design? Why is the local bouquet so complicated and in my opinion, tacky. I am sure Hong Kong has something to do with it.

    No comments: