Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, January 02, 2007

    You might want to know this.

    I mentioned this in Clara's blog some time ago but I was again recently confronted with a situation which require some gift-giving. And it is gift-giving of the worst kind: Giving a gift out of obligation. What’s worse than that is giving a gift out of obligation to someone you hardly know but you know you have to because you don't want to come off looking like a bastard.

    Well. Glad that’s out of the way.

    Recent events made me realise that a situation can sometimes call for something more and sometimes, the best gift is not necessarily material gifts. And I do not mean something tacky like a gift certificate or a donation made in that person’s name.

    I am talking about something more radical and heartfelt. Something that this person will remember forever and write folk songs about it.

    I am talking about the gift of honesty.

    And it goes a little something like this.

    Me: I am giving you the gift of honesty this year. In all honesty, I don’t know or like you enough to buy you a gift.
    Sad person in shock: Thank you.

    It’s that simple.

    No comments: