Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, August 14, 2007

    Feeling rather patriotic, I came to a quiet realisation a few days ago amidst our almost-reckless national ass-kissing pre-Merdeka celebrations. Like most Malaysians, I am quite proud of Malaysia's achievements. But (there's always a "but" when we say something positive about Malaysia) it is the same kind of pride you get when you look at some under-developed African country and go, "I'm glad to be Malaysian."

    Still, pride nonetheless.

    Anyway, back to my realisation.

    We look to become this "world-class city" with "world-class people." Sadly, I do not think that's going to happen in my lifetime. Simply because we already have a model of the kind of country we are but may or may not realise. But we think we want to grow up to become something else. Perhaps like Tokyo. International city with it's own identity and culture. Proud and productive people. And economic superpower.

    Unlike, say, Singapore. International city. Total sell-out. In 20 years, there will be more white people than Asians in Singapore. But the leaders of Singapore seem to be OK with that because they already speak with an accent. The difference here is that Singapore has been pretty clear about what they want to be when they grow up: Hong Kong.

    So back to Malaysia.

    I am driving to KL. Traffic was slow. I take some time to soak in the sights. I am really looking around. I've driven down this highway before but I had never noticed that building or that sign. Then it hits me. Kuala Lumpur is not a friendly international city. Look at the street signs. I am on the Sungai Besi highway. The entry road to the city for most foreigners who fly in to KLIA. Yet the street signs are in Malay. Are we suppose to expect our buddy Dieter from Germany to know what "IKUT KIRI" is?

    You'd think I'd think "Hey! We have our own language. Why not show it and make our visitors feel like they are REALLY in another country right? After all, those Germans do the same!"

    Sadly, I didn't think Germany or Japan. What came to mind was Mexico.

    Yes, Malaysia is like Mexico.

    And that's not necessarily a bad thing. (!)

    Both countries have very similar characteristics and you can see where this is going. So, we are really like beautiful Mexico. Only difference is, we will hang your ass if you sell drugs here. Other than that, we are almost there. We even have the Spanish soap operas to prove it.

    3 comments:

    Mr. Manager said...

    OK, who pissed you off this time?

    Chindiana said...

    Just a bit on Singpore. Just found out that the government is looking at attracting more foreigners as they want to reach a population of 6 million people asap. After that that island will be the poster boy for TRUE multicultural nation. There goes our boasting rights...

    Anonymous said...

    Do u ever heard word 'dictionary?'.They have it, u faggot!