Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, December 01, 2007

    It has been a fairly calm past two weeks. Thanks to the release of Faizal Tahir's album on 22 November. Only then I realised the weight of that album it had on me. One year in on/off-production and finally it was over. I am very happy with the results and I got me a new good and creative writing buddy in the process.

    But here's the real news that you should write home about. I went out and bought this book: Music Theory for Dummies.

    You'd think that with me being a music composer and producer, I'd know music theory and.....stuff. But no. Sadly. I don't read or write music. That's why I write my own music because I can't read other people's music. Fortunately for me, there is a market for such a thing: Melodic bullshitting Songwriting.

    Anyway, anyone who has heard my recent songs will tell you that I am either bored with pop music or I am going through a phase. I've been recording a lot of bass lately, instead of playing bass parts on the keyboard. Probably has something to do with being lazy. And I've done two or three string sessions and had the pleasure of working with Genervie Kam. This woman is impressive because she has perfect pitch which borders on being sickening. She can listen to a chord and tell you the notes. While this may be standard issue with the "real musicians", I find this very amazing. What would take me ten minutes to figure out, Genervie will do it in three seconds. Sometimes I want to smack her in the face for that. And when I do figure it out, it's usually wrong. Ask Vernon. He has stories on this.

    Having said that, my limitations have also given birth to my creative skills. So I am not complaining.

    But to be more Genervie-like, I got "Music Theory for Dummies."

    If all goes well, on my good days, I will have 0.2% of Genervie's knowledge on music theory on her bad days. Either that or this book will sit pretty on the shelf next to "Guitar for Dummies", and "Songwriting for Dummies".

    3 comments:

    Rainman said...

    Dude..I don't know crap about theory too.Is that book any good?

    klubbkidd said...

    MORON!
    muahahahahahahaahaha....
    "kenderaan berat sila ikut kiri"
    muahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

    Nazrah said...

    oh my kindred spirit, that's what u r...

    melodic crapping is so moi ok!