Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, January 31, 2008

    I'm one of those people who say that I do not regret...blah blah blah. But then, things do happen in life that makes me circle in the neighbourhood of regret. (What the....)

    Loloq, one of the better lyricists/writers in Malaysia passed away this afternoon. I do not really know the man but I know his work. We have met a few times at industry events. When we see each other, we do that head nod thing and then find some other distraction so we can get on with our own business. We know each other exists but I do not think I'd be on his list of people to babysit his kids.

    Having said that, I do feel very sad. I hope that he knows that I have great respect and admiration for his work and style. And about the regret. I never worked with him. I was getting to it but it is one of those things we take for granted. That he will always be around.

    One of the reasons I feel, is that I am intimated by the man. I'm afraid that he would think my song is crap. (You put my song next to a M. Nasir or Aidit Alfian song, and you will just see what a shameless sell-out I am. And let me say it now, I am NOT saying this to fish for compliments to reinforce my songs or "talent.")

    But I did call him late last year to work on a song but he was busy. He was nice about it.

    So there. I lost my chance to work with a great lyricist. When they make a movie or documentary about Loloq one day, I won't be interviewed or Jack Black won't get to play me. If I do get interviewed, it would be because I'm the only idiot composer who never used Loloq's lyrics.

    The moral of the story here is not that life is fragile. Or that we should take advantage of each day. Screw that. Take as many naps as you can. But the moral of the story here is, if you are a composer, work with Loloq. (I think I am missing something here.)

    I don't really know the man and I miss him already.

    Aidit, if you need a hug, give me a call. ("Bukan nak ambil kesempatan la...")

    2 comments:

    sultanmuzaffar said...

    i don't know how m.nasir can cope such a great lost to the industry.

    bagaimana agaknya lagu2 m.nasir selepas ini tanpa loloq?

    Mlle Linie.. said...

    i met loloq only once, had a very, very long conversation with him. in that three hour conversation, i can tell he is irreplaceable. his mind made him great, hence, his greatest asset.

    so may i say that i know what you mean?