Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, August 24, 2008

    I had this strange revelation the other day. What do Nikki, Farah Asyikin, and Elyana have in common? They all have great albums. AND their albums were snubbed at the Anugerah Industri Muzik (AIM) awards during their eligible year. Why, you might ask?

    Highly competitive year?

    I don't think so.

    It probably had more to do with the fact that these artistes were "strong" female artistes and were singing "strong" songs. None of that "singing-at-the-top-of-your-lungs-begging-the-man-to-kembali-kepadaku-because-I-tengah-melara-jiwa."

    While not Alanis Morrissette or Avril Lavigne-potent, our local sisters were making a musical stand. And I think a lot of the "men" in the voting committee cannot handle that sort of thing. They were still expecting a sweet thing whose name is Siti-something, doing Siti-esque-type songs, and not show any form of independence or attitude in their music.

    Truth be told that I was surprised and borderline-pissed that Elyana's and Farah Asyikin's album were not nominated in this year's AIM. I am biased when it comes to Farah's album but I really like Elyana's album and Aidit Alfian (the producer and composer for the songs that really mattered) did a really good job. He and I paint with different colours but we are on the same page.

    So come next year, I am curious to see what happens with Nikki's album and possibly Farah's album. These two will have really kick-ass albums this year and we shall see if my theory is right.

    4 comments:

    lyana said...

    not having heard the other two albums you mentioned (only have maharani at the moment)- I seriously did not consider it that way.

    But then again, I don't really follow the local music industry that well- my knowledge borders on vernon's blog and now yours.

    hmmm, curious indeed. Shouldn't they have an equal-gender voting panel for the AIM? as I'm sure we girls like girl-power songs.

    Eng said...

    Farah's album the bomb! :) but have not heard Elyana's cd yet. ok, i'll take your word for it audi and buy it soon!

    What's the judging process like? Who are the judges? maybe that's why sms polling is not such a bad idea after all. at least the fans/public (people who matters)get to decide who wins.

    Eng said...

    ohh...before i forget. i hope Suki's album get nominated next year too. It's great :) and i like the chinese instruments you've slipped into the song you wrote.

    bigbash said...

    Hmmm and all this time thought I was the only one to think this about AIM!!!

    Keep it goin Audi!!