Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, March 23, 2009

    This post (like many of mine) may be totally irrelevant. I am quite disturbed. I've not been this disturbed since "Lambada" back in 1990. It's the new Chris Cornell album.


    I saw Chris Cornell perform one of the songs on Jay Leno and he rocked it out. But on the album, it's this Justin Timberlake-Timbaland dance funk thing. Interesting. But it's Chris Cornell! Mr Soundgarden. Mr Audioslave. It's Chris ferkin' Cornell.

    Shazzy doesn't like it.

    I, not sure.

    To me, the only thing scarier than an album produced entirely by Timbaland is an album produced entirely by P. Diddy.

    The concept of "bringing out the best OF the artist" is foreign to them. Listen to the recent Timbaland-produced albums of Duran Duran and Bjork and you will hear what I mean.

    But this is the thing with this Chris Cornell album. It makes me want to listen to it again. Either because I am totally in shock at the crime he has committed, or I just need to make sense of this. So I listen and listen. The more I listen, the more I realise it sounds like Justin Timberlake (even though Justin has no production credit on this album) and shades of OneRepublic.

    I have to reset my thoughts and expectations and forget it's Chris Cornell. Then it's a fantastic album! I like it. It's urban dance rock. You have to appreciate and give him credit for taking a huge risk in going in this direction. Personally, I appreciate and respect that.

    Suddenly it makes my music sound old. Now I have to rethink somethings. Damn you Chris Cornell! You made me think! Damn you!

    5 comments:

    Wani Ardy said...

    urban dance rock. wow. that's the first time i heard of it.

    dJ phuturecybersonique said...

    take the concept a bit further, dude. stadium dance rock!

    Edd Vedder said...

    wooo.. never thought u were a big fan of cornell too dude. Personally, I think he is THE best male vocalist alive.

    I thought his latest album is great.. although, it took a while to grow on me. Maybe b'coz we are used to the Soundgarden / Audioslave Cornell.. I think it is very brave of him to try something new and make his music more current. I love when artiste do that.

    After reading this post, I have even much more respect for your talent. Go crazy dood! Urban-dance rock with a little bit of house and trance?.. If someone should do it.. it's got to be you.

    *P/S: Have u listened to Cornell's Unplugged in Sweden set? Pure heaven. Holla at me if you want a copy.

    a.mok said...

    exactly right. i mean, the guy has recorded rock for almost 20 years. what more can he do without us going "oh...it's the same old shit again". It's usually the case of the critics saying they want something different but in most cases, aren't ready for something different.

    ikram said...

    he should just stayed with audioslave...