Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, June 12, 2009

    A day after I posted the blog entry bitching Dell out, I get a call from Dell's "Escalation team" informing me that Dell will fix the DVD drive on the XPS notebook. I thought I'd wait until it is actually fixed before I do my "victory for the little people" dance.

    For today, two days after that call, I get numerous calls from Dell Logistics and Dell Technical Support and Dell Customer Service all telling me that they will coming to my office at 2.30pm. It seemed like at least ten people were involved in coordinating this exercise.

    At 2.30pm, a Dell-appointed technician comes to the office. We now wait for the optical drive to be delivered by another party which arrives an hour late. The very nice technician pain-stakingly opens up the XPS notebook. Discovers that the drive is faulty. He doesn't know why. Fair enough. So the drive is screwed. Not as simple as "sticking a paperclip in a pinhole" type of situation. But I certainly wasn't going to pay RM400 to find that out.

    In any case, calls were made by the technician. And then he informs me, that he cannot replace the drive because it is no longer under warranty and gives me the same goddamn motherfucking customer-friendly Dell policy. If another Dell-related person calls me to tell me this policy again, I swear to God, I will lose my fucking mind and may have to kill someone.

    But I digress.

    So, I ask the technician how much to replace the drive, and he puts me on the phone with the guy he was talking to using MY office phone! I asked "how much?" and he puts me on hold for five minutes before getting back to me with "our sales guys are busy now and I don't have the information for you. I will have to call you back." To which I tell him to not bother.

    I see from the look of the technician's face, he is shocked. Not at me, but at how things are unfolding....which he later tells me. (He is not from Dell but from CSC which is appointed by Dell to handle repairs.)

    The technician puts the XPS together and leaves.

    At that point, I am thinking, Dell Malaysia is an amazingly, unbelievably stupid company.

    With the drive already there, tech guy already have everything ready to install the new drive, they choose to follow policy after this matter has already been blown to this proportion. Great, they saved RM200 on the drive! I am sure it will make up for the thousands they have already spent on human resources dealing with this one simple matter. A great approach to trying to salvage me as a customer.

    Of course, I am not sure as to why they even bothered sending the replacement DVD drive there in the first place.

    Now this is just amusing. I feel like I am in one of those case studies on bad customer relationship management. And each step Dell makes is comical.

    Let's see how funny it can get. I am sending a copy of the original email and my blog entries to Michael Dell, as suggested by blog reader and fellow producer, Azlan Abu Hassan. I will report as the situation unfolds. I am now after more than just a DVD drive because Dell wasted my time.

    In response to a comment from my previous entry about Dell batteries dying, I am sorry to say that battery life depends on use. It's true for all rechargable batteries. Unless if it happens to a particular batch of batteries from a particular production batch. Then you can blame it on manufacturing defect. But I appreciate the support.

    Errr wait...damn you Dell.

    1 comment:

    Shazzy said...

    I've posted the pictures on my FB...