Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, June 09, 2009

    I want to relate a recent experience I have had with Dell Computers. I have a DVD stuck in a Dell XPS notebook bought about year and half ago for RM6000+!! The DVD drive itself still works. I can access the DVD but I just can't eject the disc out. And it doesn't have a pinhole that I can stick a paper clip into to force the disc out.

    I call Dell. They said they'd call me back but didn't. So I email with strong words. Then I get a call. I am given two options: Pay RM400+ for a one-time fix, or extend the warranty for RM1100+.

    Now, who would want to pay RM400 to get a DVD out?

    I get upset. I call Dell again and for two hours, I get tossed around between their customer service and technical department both tell me the same thing: "Your warranty has expired. You have two options. This is our policy."

    And I am saying: "I have bought, through my various companies, easily over RM100,000 worth of Dell products over the past three years. I paid RM6000+ for your notebook. Your product fails and I am unable to resolve a situation that can usually be resolved by the end-user. (re: pinhole) Can't you offer me some customer service and keep me happy as a future customer?"

    Deep down I am wishing: "I should have bought another Mac instead."

    After that evening, I was able to bring this matter to someone senior at Dell. Evidently, the matter gets pushed to another department from which I get a phone call from this afternoon.

    This is where the situation becomes a case study for customer service and business failure.

    I get a call from Dell's "Escalation" team. I am honoured.

    Their solution? Pay RM400+ for a one-time fix, or extend the warranty for RM1100+.

    After all the drama, I get a call from their "escalation team" to rehash the same policy that does nothing to help me or their reputation.

    Instead of just fixing the damned notebook drive which would have cost them less than RM100, they engaged human resources worth probably ten times more and cost them future business from me.

    That cooked my goose!

    I do not blame the people I spoke with who are not able to resolve my issue. This is the failure of management and their lack of understanding customers. Their customer service staff are robots following rules without a mind of their own to solve and understand customer problems with logic.

    By the way Dell, the problem is not a defective optical drive. The problem is that you have a unhappy valuable customer. My request is not unreasonable given the price of the notebook.

    Needless to say, I have written off Dell. I do not buy Dell nor recommend Dell as I have before.

    Bottom line: Don't buy Dell.

    2 comments:

    ryeli said...

    yes, dont ever buy dell...they suck big time. the 5 new laptops my company bought over a year ago all battery died out, conveniently just after the 1 yr warranty. so we had to pay rm450 each laptop for new battery.

    this is how dell earns more.

    Anonymous said...

    Dell sucks!! Everything works well for conveniently the end of the one year warranty mark and then suddenly everything goes to crap...Their battery life sucks.