Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, September 16, 2009

    I mentioned that one can tell something about the philosophy of the company based on how they managed their car park. Let me explain.

    Way back when...about ten years ago when I was still in the book business, I visited many of our clients in the Bayan Lepas Free Trade Zone in Penang. They range from huge multinationals from the US, Europe, Japan, and Malaysia.

    There are differences in building design, work flow, protocol, and simple things like how efficient or capable the receptionist is. But one thing that struck me was the parking.

    For most European companies, the parking bays closest to the lobby entrance was usually reserved for visiting guests. Yes! Reserved for the visiting guests and customers! What a concept.

    For most Asian companies, those lots are usually reserved for the CEO or VIP. Even when you go drive into multi-storey parking lots, the more accessible floors are reserved for their employees. Customers or visitors usually have to go way up or way down for parking.

    I was reminded of this today when I visited the Digi offices. They get your car number before the meeting and my number car is registered with their security. I drive up and they know who I am and I park up front near the lobby entrance. It was so efficient that I almost wanted to cry.

    So impresses me that such companies actually mean it when they say that their customers come first.

    No comments: